2012-10-18

Is There Another?

Perhaps it was just a reaction to spending so much time on photos from a simple little point and shoot, but I have been feeling the need to go out and make things more complicated.

Last weekend I spent an overcast afternoon with an SB900 cabled to my D800. High speed flash let me underexpose the background while highlighting something in the foreground, and it just happens that signs are an ideal subject for this treatment. Sometimes I get lucky.

I have used this technique a few times before with my Olympus cameras. The biggest difference in working with the Nikon is that I gain tremendous latitude in refining and adjusting the exposure in post-processing. This does make the results better, but it also means that I can be even more aggressive, and more experimental, the next time that I try it.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month