2010-01-03

Best of 2009: #798, Atmos

I've been shooting jewellery for a while now, but this one is my favourite. It's also one of the ones that I wouldn't be able to do with anything under the D700 and 85mm tilt-shift, which is good, because this is exactly the sort of thing that I wanted that gear for. I haven't needed to modify the perspective, which is hard on the image quality, and the 700's awesome highlight range has let me recover details that should have been gone for good.

It also doesn't hurt that it's a great subjected. Watches are how I got interested in jewellery, so it's fitting that shooting jewellery has gotten me a photo of a fascinating timepiece.

It was also refreshing to be able to shoot really wide - f/11 - and still get the depth of field that I wanted.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month