2010-01-03

Best of 2009: #394, Detour

Of the photos that I'm including as my best of 2009, half of them are from its final three months. This tells me that I'm either getting better, or lacking sufficient time for a proper perspective. In this case, I'm afraid that it's the latter.

This photo is one of the few from an afternoon spent in the woods around Killarney, Ontario. This was taken in the back of a shed in a stand of sugar maples, which we reached by boat. It needed a 2.5 second exposure at iso400 and f/11, and was shot with my tilt-shift lens contorted for the perspective and focal plane that I wanted. I was even standing in a peculiar pose to get some of the light and shadow to fall where I wanted it.

Of all of the photos I've selected for this series, this is the one that I would least want to print and hang on the wall.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month