2010-01-03

Best of 2009: #548, Hangout

This is part of the larger-than-life sign for The World's Biggest Bookstore, and it has become my ceremonial first photo for any new camera gear. The fact that it's just down the street from the camera store where I work part-time is a big part of that.

More than any other, this has to be my signature image for 2009. It took an Honourable Mention in a club competition - the highest I ever achieve - as a print that was three feet wide and two feet high. It was shot as a panorama that gives me a 125 megapixel image, and one day I'd like to print it as a 6'x4' vinyl banner. It's the closest I'm likely to come to the scale of the Color Field paintings that I'm not-so-secretly envious of.

While I've posted other versions here (the original on January 31, a reprise on December 20) and used it to illustrate reviews, this one hasn't been shown before. It's my favourite of them all.

2 comments:

52shotstothehead said...

I just stumbled across your blog...love it! Follow me! http://www.52shotstothehead.blogspot.com

Matthew Robertson said...

Follow you where? To one of the other 77 places where you've spammed the comments?

Good luck in your continuing quest to find your creative self.

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month