2013-03-11

Digital, Black and White

The top photo is digital colour, the bottom is black and white film. The middle is digital black and white, and the results leave me conflicted.

I love the tonality of B&W film, especially for high- or low-key photos. But starting with digital colour gives so much flexibility to create exactly the look that I want in the finished image that it's hard to justify using film. These three are all the same car – I'm 90% certain, at least – but the middle photo is what I want it to look like.

The implication is clear: it's time to invest in a set of contrast filters.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month