2010-11-16

MoMA

I happen to like abstract expressionism and colour field art, so the Museum of Modern Art is going to be a mandatory stop any time I'm in New York. Like most of the major art galleries I've visited in the US, they allow photographs of their permanent collections.

This means that I get to take photos, which I appreciate, but it also means that I'm surrounded by people with cameras, who annoy me. (That's a general thing, but it's worse in some places than others.) For what it's worth, I have my own 'straight' photos of the artwork for my own appreciation, photographed with a semi-decent camera and accompanied with colour references for accuracy. Otherwise, what would be the point? These photos that show the environment are just for fun.

The top image and painting on the right in the second image is Mark Rothko's No.37/No.19 (Slate Blue and Brown on Plum); the painting on the left in the second image is No.3/No.13.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month