2013-07-07

Waterproof

Yesterday I spent hours photographing a waterfall, and didn't worry once about what my camera-club people would think.

When people ask me how many cameras I own – the current count is twelve – I usually struggle to remember that I still have my c.2007 Olympus 770SW, one of the earliest waterproof cameras. Well, it came back into active service yesterday for the first time in years so that Penny and I could both have cameras handy through our ride on the Maid of the Mist. It did pretty well, too; I was shooting blind with it, given the conditions and its vintage LCD screen, but when I swapped for the c.2011 Panasonic TS3 I found that pointing it wasn't any easier.

The top two photos are from the Olympus, and the last two are from the Panasonic. I have "better" photos (including many taken by Penny, who has an excellent eye) but like these for their ability to convey a bit of the feel of the experience.

2 comments:

Keith Alan K said...

Thanks again for letting me save you from having an unlucky 13 cameras. The F828 is part of my plans for a music video. Still can't believe I never managed to take the same ride in all the times I visited the falls.

Matthew Robertson said...

It makes me happy to know that the F828 is enjoying its life of semi-retirement somewhere warm.

I've been on the Maid a few times, while this was Penny's first, but next year the tour operator on the Canadian side will change. That probably means another trip next year to see what the differences are.


I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month