2009-07-26

(930) Nordheimer Ravine

I started doing my 'weekly project' photo series as a way of keeping this blog up-to-date even if the photo wouldn't normally merit posting. After all, this is both a visual and written diary, and it's mostly friends and family that visit it. So I'll tell you all the story on this one.

I like typography, as some people may have noticed, so during Doors Open Toronto (2009) Penny and I visited Coach House Press. It's just a few streets from our home, and David mentioned it when he was visiting a few years back, so it's been on the check-it-out list for a while. While we were there, I bought the book "HTO," which is about water in Toronto, including the lost rivers of the region.

"Lost Rivers" are the creeks and ravines that have been replaced by sewers and landfill, and are something that I got interested in because of my photographing around Fort York, which is the site of the former mouth of Garrison Creek, and my project on Spadina Avenue from long before I lived on it.

I also have a reviews blog, and wanted to review HTO for it. That needs photos, so on my way to the local Loblaws, I walked through this ravine and visited the reservoir-within-a-park at Spadina Road and St. Clair Ave. (Not, thankfully, St. Clair St.) While I was on this stroll, the dirt path and scenery convinced me that it really was time to get a bike.

So the bike arrived on my birthday, thanks to UPS delivering it two days late, and on Saturday I took it through the ravine that convinced me to buy it. My internet friend Keith has recently returned to photographing in infra-red, and for various reasons that inspired me to bring out my IR-converted camera to bring along on my ride.

And while I was there, I took this picture.

2 comments:

Keith Alan K said...

A fine IR, although I daresay it would be cracking in color, too.
Just a nice gentle scene well-captured.

Your new project is good--I always want more photos from my friends and those I respect. Anything that ups the output is cool by me.

Personally, I'm torn by wanting to put the F828 through it's paces while also carrying the right camera for the job. My bag only holds one at a time, so IR/Macro/Video keeps winning.

Matthew Robertson said...

There's always a case of newcameraitis, but the recovery usually leads to wanting to get out and use the 'other' for a while. I'm just recovering from the D700, which is why I've been using my FZ18 recently. Next up will probably be my E-1.

I have a set of 'rules' for photography, and one that I strive for is that 'the remarkable thing about a photo should never be that it exists.'* So simply having a camera that shoots in IR doesn't excuse a photo without a subject. I just wish I had gotten the woman who was walking her cat into a good composition for this one.

(* The Apollo program is an exception.)

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month