2006-05-14

for Daniel Johnston

It's been over a year since I first noticed a song by Daniel Johnston, "Come See Me Tonight," which made its way onto my iPod via a compilation CD. It was distinctive, to put it nicely: harsh musicianship and vocal qualities that even I could match. I couldn't stop listening to it. There was a rawness and honesty to its longing unlike anything else I had heard.

Two albums later, and more in my future, I can say that I am a fan of this deeply troubled artist. If I could have the vision as a photographer that he has as a musician, I would be very satisfied with my work. But, if there was a deal with the devil and I would also have to take his illness, I would not.

Daniel Johnston resources on the web:

His official web site, Hi, How Are You?
His official fan site, Rejected Unknown
and a biography at Wikipedia

Currently - and briefly - playing in a few theaters is the documentary "The Devil and Daniel Johnston." Sony has a website for the movie, with a lot of information and the theatrical trailer. The trailer is a fair representation of the movie, and provides an easy way to hear some of his music.

Enjoy!

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month