2011-07-07

Coney Island – Surf Avenue




There's a large parade in Coney Island to mark the beginning of summer. I accidentally booked my bus tickets for that Saturday, which dramatically changed all of my plans for New York City.

The parade frequently resembled collections of people in costumes loosely walking in roughly the same direction, but made up for its lack of cohesion by lasting for hours and hours. The huge crowd dominated the area for the entire afternoon, and left it in such a shambles that after five hours I needed to return to the calm, quiet, and cleanliness of midtown Manhattan.

All of these photos were taken with my Zeiss Ikon rangefinder using the 4/85mm lens, which I brought specifically for photos of the parade and its participants.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month