2010-05-13

#080, Littlest

Karena Massengill is an accomplished artist who - mostly - works in steel. Taking the time to explore her "Muted Characters" set was quite an experience for me, since it let me see and play with something that I hadn't seen in almost twenty-four years. The artist is my stepmother, and in a way I grew up with these works. I actually didn't recognize what I was seeing until I adjusted my sense of scale by sitting down on the ground with them.

The smallest of these sculptures, with its freestanding 'wings' for support, was always my favourite.

Detail of "Muted Characters" by Karena Massengill, as installed at the Latcham Gallery, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Ontario.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month