2011-12-24

Time and Motion II

When I first started sorting through these photographs I quickly discovered that I would need to operate a little differently. Typically I grade by quality, making further and further refinements as I cull down to the fewest possible photos, but the unexpected nature of these meant that I needed to form broader groups before I could do that. Instead I graded by characteristics, either 'smooth', 'rough', or indeterminate. After living with them for a while, I decided that I generally prefer to look at smoother photos.

These three photos are all examples of the 'rough' category, and have been processed slightly differently from the others that I posted. But this is an evolving series, and the treatments and selections are likely to change over time, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Last week I picked up another roll of film that has more of these photographs on it. I haven't had a chance to scan them yet, but holding them all to the light I saw how the dominant lines aligned across so many of the frames… the next set of images may be able to make use of that. I've always had a soft spot for Serendipity.

No comments:

I have broken the links to hundreds and hundreds of photos, which will take a long time to repair. The workaround is to replace "photo.matthewpiers" in the link URL with "matthewpiers.smugmug". Awkward, but only temporary.

This is happening because I have revamped matthewpiers dot com. More of what I write and photograph will be going there, so check it out as well.

Older Photos by Month